1966 CHEVY C25 ĺ TON PICKUP

 

I originally bought this truck and a camper trailer with the intentions of making a mobile electronics lab and selling parts at the local flea market on weekends, but on the way bringing the truck home, the clutch pivot arm support broke and I had to power shift it the rest of the way. Well it sat for a while and life happened, so I decided to tear it down and make a custom truck out of it. The summer days and intense sunlight in the winter made the task difficult and I became disappointed with my challenge. That was over the last ten years and more then $900 in parts and outside labor and I still canít drive it. Recently I have put poles in the ground and am in the process of putting up a cover to work under this fall and winter. I still need to pour a pad of concrete to be able to move the engine hoist and stand

around on and pull out the heavy duty four speed transmission to clean the frame and put an automatic in it.

 

front    left front    right front    engine out    left front

 

rear    305    engine painted

Well, it's a couple of years later now. I put a cover on the six poles I put up, but the wind won out again. The cover was torn to shreds within three months and that ended any chance of working on it. This summer I had a 17' X 18' cement pad poured and put up a 18' X 40' carport, moved the PU and had a place to work on it. I bought a 1982 Chevy G20 van for parts (transmission, seats, PS, PB, A/C and anything else I need), which I ended up having to use the "HECHO EN MEXICO" engine from the van which turned out to be a 5.7L (350ci), not the pretty 5.0L 305ci shown above. As this turned out, someone had blocked off the back two barrels on the carburetor and that burned all the exhaust valves from running too lean. I had to tear down the upper part of the engine and replace the valves (I tried a "borrowed" valve spring compressor from my local auto parts place, but that one would not work-it was made to remove the spring while on the engine and single spring valves-I had to buy a real spring compressor on the internet. While I was in the valve area, I put the performance street cam and new lifters in I had bought for the 305 (I couldn't find cam bearings and just two pistons-the cam bearings are +.040 oversize and all I could find were +.020-the pistons had to be bought in a set at $31 each), four of the lifters had gotten moisture in them and had to be replaced. The same guy I bought the van from also had a 1984 GMC G20 van without engine and trans., I wanted it for the steering column and dual exhaust, but ended up using the steering universal joint shaft and the mounting bracket for the brake fluid distribution block. I am also using the space inside for pellet stove fuel storage. BUT, neither of the power steering gear boxes would work and I had to buy one. There were other annoyances along the way, like GM went to metric on some bolts and nuts but not totally, so it was back and forth to the tools quit often. Getting the engine and trans. out of the front of the van required some body cutting.

         
                     
   

Eventually I got the engine and trans. in the '66 (I had to buy a transmission cross member and the one they sent didn't look like the one in the photo, after many e-mails and three cross members  I saw how they saw it working (that was a two week delay) and that's when I noticed the burnt valves. I started it just enough to hear it run (some gas in the carb), installed the dual exhaust, and the split driveshaft from the GMC G20 fit perfectly except for the support bearing which was in a different place than the '66 support bearing, so I had to make a crossbar for that. Next I installed the power steering gear box and separated the front brakes from the rear and ran the lines to the power brake booster. The under bed gas tank was put in and fuel line ran to the carb ( I used the fuel line from the Chevy G20). I put an electric fuel pump inside the frame rail under the passenger seat. I took the accessory power cable, which is in a spiral protector and runs the length of the van and ran it through the length of the frame rail on the '66. Then the tedious task of pulling a wire for the fuel sender and fuel pump.